How to Advocate for Animals With or Without a Law Degree: Animals in Criminal Law
Although animals are property under the law, they are property unlike any other. In the context of criminal law, animals can be the victims of crime entitled to certain statutory protections. At the same time, they are also living evidence. And, when an animal’s owner is the defendant, the defendant may still have a property interest in the animal.
In this webinar, Senior Staff Attorneys David Rosengard and Jamie Contreras will discuss animals’ status in the context of criminal law and how lawyers and nonlawyers alike can effectively advocate for animals who suffer cruelty.
This webinar was prerecorded. Watch it now!
- How to Advocate for Animals With or Without a Law Degree: Animals in Criminal Law – PPT Presentation (PDF)
- Laws that Protect Animals: Federal, State & Local
- 2019 Animal Protection U.S. State Laws Rankings Report
- Criminal Justice: Collaborating with Prosecutors and Law Enforcement on Animal Cruelty Cases
- Criminal Justice Program Attorneys Speak on the Importance of Considering Animals as Victims
- How Animals Differ from Other Types of “Property” Under the Law
- Learn More About Animals’ Legal Status
- What To Do When Your Witness Animal Cruelty
- The Link Between Cruelty to Animals and Violence Towards Humans
- The Legal Process in the United States: A Criminal Case
- Victim Impact Statements in Cases of Animal Cruelty
- Veterinarians’ Role in Reporting Animal Cruelty
- Charging Considerations in Criminal Animal Abuse Cases
- Why Prosecutors Don’t Prosecute
- Sign the “Stop Animal Cruelty” Pledge
The amicus briefs from notable experts including Harvard University's Laurence H. Tribe filed in support of neglected horse’s lawsuit against his former abuserJanuary 9, 2023 Press Release
Neglected horse sued former abuser for damages caused by animal crueltyDecember 5, 2022 Press Release
Short Film Reveals the Cruelty and Pervasiveness of Puppy Mills as New York and other Jurisdictions Pass and Support Retail Sales BansActress Christian Serratos narrates the Animal Legal Defense Fund film advocating for an end to puppy millsNovember 16, 2022 Press Release