Protecting Big Cats
Upon the release of Netflix’s Tiger King, Gabriela Cowperthwaite, director of Blackfish, started getting asked a lot of questions from her friends and media outlets. “Why didn’t Tiger King help big cats?” — Gabriela’s fans wanted her reaction. Joined by a panel of experts, Gabriela will explore the issue of big cat ownership—and the industry that exploits them for profit.
Panelists include Animal Legal Defense Fund Staff Attorney Daniel Waltz, Humane Society of the United States Senior Strategist for Captive Wildlife Lisa Wathne, Animal Welfare Institute Senior Policy Advisor Kate Dylewsky, Born Free Head of Animal Welfare & Captivity Chris Draper, and Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge Vice President Scott Smith.
This webinar was prerecorded. Watch now!
- “Why I made Blackfish” by Gabriela Cowperthwaite
- Support the Big Cat Public Safety Act!
- H.R. 1380 – Big Cat Public Safety Act
- “The Private Zoos on Netflix’s Tiger King Exist Because of These U.S. Exotic Pet Ownership Laws” (People Magazine Article)
- Learn more about Chris Draper, Head of Animal Welfare & Captivity, Born Free (PDF)
- Learn more about Kate Dylewsky, Senior Policy Advisor, Animal Welfare Institute (PDF)
- Learn more about Scott Smith, Vice President, Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge (PDF)
- Learn more about Lisa Wathne, Senior Strategist, Captive Wildlife, The Humane Society of the United States (PDF)
After multiple lawsuits filed and fought by the Animal Legal Defense Fund, the Tiger Truck Stop has finally stopped exhibiting animals and tore down its cages. The Tiger Truck Stop, the infamous gas station in Gross Tete, Louisiana, held Tony — an endangered Siberian-Bengal tiger — from the age of 6-months until his death at the age of 17 in 2017.July 14, 2020 Press Release
Long-time Miami resident asks Senators Marco Rubio and Rick Scott to co-sponsor the Big Cat Public Safety ActJune 2, 2020 Press Release
Co-authored by Animal Legal Defense Fund, Joaquin Phoenix, Rooney Mara, and Glenn Close call on Congress to pass federal legislationApril 28, 2020 Press Release