Effective Date: May 2003; Last Updated November 2018.
The Animal Legal Defense Fund (“ALDF”) is the sole owner and operator of this website. By visiting aldf.org, you are accepting the practices described in this and all other policies.
We use common tracking technologies.
We collect personal information about users over time and across different websites when you use this website or service. We also have third parties that collect personal information this way. To do this, we use several common tracking tools. Our vendors may also use these tools. In this policy, “we” and “us” refers to both ALDF and our vendors. These may include browser cookies. We may also use web beacons, flash bookies, and similar technologies.
We use tracking technologies for a variety of reasons.
- To recognize new or past users.
- To improve our website and to better understand your visits on our platforms.
- To serve you with interest-based or targeted advertising (see below for more on interest-based advertising).
- To observe your behaviors and browsing activities over time across multiple websites or other platforms.
- To better understand the interests of our users and our website visitors.
We engage in interest-based advertising.
We and our partners display interest-based advertising using information gathered about you over time across multiple websites or other platforms.
Interest-based advertising or “online behavioral advertising” includes ads served to you after you leave our website, encouraging you to return. They also include ads we think are relevant based on your browsing habits or online activities. These ads might be served on websites or on apps. They might also be served in emails. We might serve these ads, or third parties may serve ads. They might be about our products or other companies’ products and services. Where legally required, we obtain consent to engage in interest-based advertising.
How do we gather relevant information about you for interest-based advertising?
To decide what is relevant to you, we use information you make available to us when you interact with us, our affiliates, or other third parties. We gather this information using the tracking tools described above. For example, we or our partners might look at your purchases or browsing behaviors. We or our partners might also look at your location. We might look at these activities on our platforms or the platforms of others.
We work with third parties who help gather this information. These third parties might link your name or email address to other information they collect. That might include past purchases made offline or online. Or, it might include online usage information.
You can control certain tracking tools.
Your browser may give you the ability to control cookies. How you do so depends on the type of cookie. Certain browsers can be set to reject browser cookies. To find out more about how to enable, disable, or delete cookies from your web browser, please visit here or here.
If you block cookies, certain features on our site may not work.
To control flash cookies, which we may use on certain websites from time to time, you can go here. Why? Because flash cookies cannot be controlled through your browser settings.
Options you select are browser and device specific.
Our Do Not Track Policy
Some browsers have “do not track” features that allow you to tell a website not to track you. These features are not all uniform. We do not currently respond to those signals. If you block cookies, certain features on our site may not work. If you block or reject cookies, not all of the tracking described here will stop.
Certain options you select are browser and device specific.
You can opt out of online behavioral advertising.
The Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising program provides consumers with the ability to opt out of having their online behavior recorded and used for advertising purposes. To opt out of having your online behavior collected for advertising purposes, click here.
Choices you make are browser and device specific.
Additional tracking technology details and opt out options.
Here is more information about the tracking technologies and cookies we currently use on our site and emails. We use these tracking technologies to improve our site and the experience of our visitors. To opt out of these cookies you can click here or where applicable follow the specific instructions below:
- Google Analytics: We use Google Analytics provided by Google Inc. (Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA) to collect information about how visitors use our website. For example, we collect details of the site where the visitor has come from and the total number of times a visitor has been to our website. Furthermore, you can prevent Google’s collection and use of data (cookies and IP address) by downloading and installing the browser plug-in available here. An opt-out cookie will be set to prevent the future collection of your information when you visit this Website. Further information can be found here.