Zoonotic Diseases and Factory Farming
COVID-19 has shone new light on the issues surrounding the treatment of animals in factory farms. This panel will discuss three similar, yet distinct, issues within factory farming during the pandemic: conditions within factory farms and industrial slaughterhouses, “depopulation” methods, and government subsidies.
This presentation was part of the 2021 Animal Law Symposium.
- Food & Environment Reporting Network: Mapping Covid-19 outbreaks in the food system
- AVMA Guidelines for the Depopulation of Animals
- AVMA Guidelines for the Euthanasia of Animals
- Learn more about farmed animals
- Farm Systems Reform Act
- Oregon Mega-Dairy Moratorium
- Lawsuit Challenges New NEPA Regulations that Shield CAFOs from Environmental Review
- Protecting Pigs from Cruel High-Speed Slaughter
- Christine Ball-Blakely PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) – Zoonotic Diseases & Factory Farming
- Galina Hale PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) – Zoonotic Diseases & Factory Farming
Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, Bill Maher, and Dozens of Celebrities Urge New Jersey Legislators to Ban Gestation and Veal CratesActors Paul Wesley, Christina Ricci, Stevie Van Zandt and dozens of native and resident celebrities join the Animal Legal Defense Fund in an open letter urging the state’s legislators to end the intensive confinement of mother pigs and calves in New Jersey.May 10, 2021 Press Release
The Animal Legal Defense Fund files amicus brief seeking to prevent industries from using public record exemptions to hide information from the public.April 26, 2021 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund increases reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for harassing manatee in Citrus County, FloridaApril 20, 2021 Press Release