Zoonotic Diseases and Captive Wildlife
Human interaction with captive animals – both wild-caught and captive-bred – can increase the likelihood of global pandemics, which makes their captivity all the more dangerous. Join legal and rescue experts as they discuss captive animals, with an emphasis on those used for entertainment.
This presentation was part of the 2021 Animal Law Symposium.
- Laws that Protect Animals (Federal, State, & Local)
- Justice the Horse Sues Abuser (Justice v. Vercher)
- Lawsuit to Protect the Endangered Species Act (Animal Legal Defense Fund v. Bernhardt)
- Zoonotic Spillover Through Intermediate Host (C4ADS)
- Origin & Evolution of Pathogenic Coronaviruses (NCBI, NIH)
- Performing Animal Welfare Society (PAWS)
- COVID-19 and Animals in Captivity: Rethinking Our Interactions with Animals in Captivity to reduce the likelihood of the next pandemic
- Learn more about captive wildlife
- Endangered Species Act
- Endangered Species Act Fact Sheet
- Animal Welfare Act and Animal Welfare Regulations
- Daniel Waltz PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) – Zoonotic Diseases & Captive Wildlife
- Claire Tonry PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) – Zoonotic Diseases & Captive Wildlife
- Catherine Doyle PowerPoint Presentation (PDF) – Zoonotic Diseases & Captive Wildlife
Join the Animal Legal Defense Fund's email list to stay up to date on lawsuits, legislation, and regulations affecting animals.
Legal Petition Demands New York Department of Environmental Conservation Revoke Animal Adventure Park Exhibitor LicenseNumerous violations documented at the facility of inadequate animal careMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Kate Mara to Pay Adoption Fees for All Canine CellMates Dog Graduates in Need of Immediate HomesAlternative sentencing program in Fulton County, Georgia pairs shelter dogs with criminal defendants to offer both training and a second chanceMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Oregon Supreme Court Denies Petition to Review Case Involving Lawsuit on Behalf of Abused HorseLawsuit sheds light on the need to recognize legal rights for animal cruelty victims.March 7, 2023 Press Release