Law Student Paper Series — Defining ‘Meat’: Plant-based Meat Label Censorship in the United States
Increasingly popular among consumers, plant-based meat has a solid foothold in the U.S. market. The rising success of plant-based meat and the looming competition of cultivated meat has sparked state legislation censoring the use of meat nomenclature on labels for these foods. Join Bianka Atlas, Lewis & Clark Law School, for an overview of the plant-based meat labeling landscape in the United States, with a focus on current and pending state legislation and lawsuits. A brief Q&A to follow.
This webinar has been pre-recorded. Watch it now!
- Defining ‘Meat’ – Plant-based Meat Label Censorship in the United States (PDF)
- Defining ‘Meat’ – Plant-Based Meat Label Censorship in the United States – PowerPoint Presentation (PDF)
- Plant-based Retail Market Overview (The Good Food Institute)
- The Rise Of Mock Meat: How Its Story Reflects America’s Ever-Changing Values (NPR)Is the Future of Meat Animal-Free? (Food Technology Magazine)
- Enacted Laws Regulating Labeling (PDF)
- Challenging Arkansas’ Meat Labeling Law (Turtle Island Foods v. Soman)
- Challenging Missouri’s Meat Labeling Law (Turtle Island Foods v. Richardson)
- PBFA Lawsuit Leads to Labeling Victory in Mississippi (Upton’s Naturals Co. & PBFA v. Bryant et al.)
- New Lawsuit Challenges Unconstitutional Oklahoma Plant-Based Foods Labeling Law (Upton’s Naturals Co. & PBFA v. Stitt et al.)
- Challenging Louisiana’s Meat-Labeling Censorship Law (Turtle Island Foods v. Louisiana Department of Agriculture and Forestry)
Fourth Circuit Enjoins North Carolina Ag-Gag LawThe U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit handed an important win to plaintiffs in a lawsuit challenging North Carolina’s Ag-Gag law, ruling that undercover investigations and whistleblowing are considered newsgathering activities protected by the First Amendment.February 23, 2023 Press Release
Court Strikes Down Second Iowa Ag-Gag LawPublic interest coalition celebrates another win against unconstitutional statute barring undercover investigations at factory farmsMarch 15, 2022 Press Release
Short Film Released Following Three Appellate Court Decisions Concerning Ag-Gag ChallengesEdie Falco narrates the Animal Legal Defense Fund film demanding transparency in factory farmingSeptember 14, 2021 Press Release
Join the Animal Legal Defense Fund's email list to stay up to date on lawsuits, legislation, and regulations affecting animals.