Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #8 (Top Tier)
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, fighting, abandonment, and sexual assault
- +Mandatory post-conviction forfeiture
- +Protection orders may include animals
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
Take action now to help animals in your state.