Career Advice for Aspiring Animal Attorneys
Do you want to work for the animals? Are you interested in obtaining a job as an animal lawyer? Check out our many resources on this subject:
- Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Opportunities in Animal Law booklet gives a great overview of how legal professionals can get involved in animal law.
- For advice straight from animal lawyers, check out this Q&A with a Staff Attorney, So You Wanna Be an Animal Lawyer?, and Making Animal Law Your Career.
- For more ideas and advice, see our two rotating features:
- Law School Graduates: Where Are They Now? is a series of updates about former student chapter members who are helping animals through the legal system.
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Attorney & Paralegal Spotlights are profiles of legal professionals who are winning the case against cruelty through our Pro Bono Program.
- Wherever you end up working, use your law degree to help animals by joining the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Pro Bono Program. We use volunteer attorneys to work on a variety of projects including research and citation checking, writing legal information guides, filing , litigating cases, and assisting prosecutors with animal cruelty cases. The amount of work the Animal Legal Defense Fund does would not be possible without pro bono assistance!
- If you’re interested in opening your own private practice and incorporating animal law, read “Animal Law” in GPSolo Magazine. .
- Check out this advice from Lewis and Clark Law School’s Center for Animal Law Studies Career Center.
- Every year the Animal Law Conference or Animal Legal Defense Fund Student Convention has a career panel where attendees can ask questions of those currently working in the field about how to get a job in animal law. Watch this video from the 2014 conference panel, How Can I Get a Job Advocating for Animals? for advice from the experts!
- Participate in the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Animal Law Academy with webinars and CLE events to stay up-to-date on animal law issues.
- Another helpful resource is the American Bar Association’s book: Careers in Animal Law: Welfare, Protection, and Advocacy.
- Also make sure to check out the Employment and Clerkships, Internships & Fellowships Listings for current employment opportunities at various law firms and non-profit organizations across the country.
- If you’d like advice on generally working within the animal protection movement, check out Our Hen House’s 14 Tips On Getting a Job in Animal Rights and Care2’s How to Turn Your Love for Animals Into a Full-Time Job.
In May 2018, the Animal Legal Defense Fund filed a unique lawsuit in Oregon on behalf of a severely maltreated horse named Justice. Justice suffered starvation, frostbite, and other grave injuries due to his owner’s failure to provide him with basic care.September 13, 2018 Animal Law Update