Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #11 (Top Tier)
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addressed related crimes, and is a sex offense
- +Sentence enhancements for repeat animal abusers and cases involving multiple animals
- +Court may order pre-conviction forfeiture of cruelly treated animals
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -Limited definition of “animal”
Animal Protection Laws of Texas
The Animal Protection Laws of Texas compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Texas with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
An Act Relating to the Sale of Dogs and Cats by Pet Stores (Texas)
Protecting Companion Animals in Hot Cars (Texas)
Challenging Tiger Creek for Violating the Endangered Species Act
Defending Our Rights Under the Texas Anti-SLAPP Statute
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Animal Possession Ban (Texas)
Fighting to Bring Kristen Lindsey to Justice
Lucky the Lonely Elephant
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws