Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #11 (Top Tier)
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addressed related crimes, and is a sex offense
- +Sentence enhancements for repeat animal abusers and cases involving multiple animals
- +Court may order pre-conviction forfeiture of cruelly treated animals
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -Limited definition of “animal”
Take action now to help animals in your state.