Vindicating Pierson v. Post’s ‘Saucy Intruder’: Of Wildlife Crimes & Crimes Against Wildlife
Join David Rosengard, Animal Legal Defense Fund senior staff attorney, for a discussion regarding wildlife crimes, crimes against wildlife — and the subtle but significant difference between the two.
Beginning with a look at the venerable history of wildlife law, we will explore how traditional approaches fail to account for the experience of the animals themselves, as well as the fundamental nature of animal cruelty laws. As we search for answers, we discover that justice — and raison d’être of modern cruelty statutes — call for the law to be deployed in order to shield wildlife from unlawful suffering at human hands.
This webinar has been prerecorded. Watch it now!
- How We Work: Criminal Justice Program
- Laws that Protect Animals
- Two Great Legal Victories for Animals in Oregon
- Dogs Are Not Mere Property, Rules Oregon Supreme Court
- A Death Of Ethics: Is Hunting Destroying Itself?
- Play Dead: Queso the Cat Story
- A Dog is Not a Stereo: The Role of Animal Sentience in Determining the Scope of Owner Privacy Interests Under Oregon Law
- Vindicating Pierson v. Post’s ‘Saucy Intruder’: Of Wildlife Crimes & Crimes Against Wildlife – PPT Presentation (PDF)
- Wildlife Crimes and Crimes Against Wildlife discussion guide (PDF)
Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, Bill Maher, and Dozens of Celebrities Urge New Jersey Legislators to Ban Gestation and Veal CratesActors Paul Wesley, Christina Ricci, Stevie Van Zandt and dozens of native and resident celebrities join the Animal Legal Defense Fund in an open letter urging the state’s legislators to end the intensive confinement of mother pigs and calves in New Jersey.May 10, 2021 Press Release
The Animal Legal Defense Fund files amicus brief seeking to prevent industries from using public record exemptions to hide information from the public.April 26, 2021 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund increases reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for harassing manatee in Citrus County, FloridaApril 20, 2021 Press Release