Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #32 (Middle Tier)
- +Wide range of care standards/requirements including food, water, shelter, care, and space
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so
- -No provisions for pre-conviction forfeiture of abused animals
- -No felony provisions for animal neglect or abandonment
- -Other agencies or departments are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
Take action now to help animals in your state.