Law Student Paper Series — Sustainability vs. Overexploitation: A Nexus Between Illegal Wildlife Trafficking and the Climate Crisis
International and domestic legal communities have long understood the need to incorporate sustainable development into policy practices. Yet, the ongoing dual drivers of biodiversity loss — illegal wildlife trafficking and the climate crisis — show a critical failure in our policy systems. Join Spring A. Gaines, Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, as she discusses how national and international policies fail to implement the idea of sustainability into protecting ecosystems that are continuously overexploited to their own detriment, while exploring how this oversight impacts species in different parts of our natural world. A brief Q&A to follow.
This webinar has been pre-recorded. Watch it now!
- Illegal Wildlife Trade: Enhancing Responses to Wildlife Crime and Illegal Trade
- Save the Elephants Anti-Trafficking Project
- The Seahorse Trust: Traditional Medicine Trade
- Pangolin Smuggling: The Next Coronavirus Time Bomb?
- Sustainability vs. Overexploitation: A Nexus Between Illegal Wildlife Trafficking and the Climate Crisis Paper by Spring Gaines (PDF)
- Sustainability vs. Overexploitation_A Nexus Between Illegal Wildlife Trafficking and the Climate Crisis – PPT Presentation (PDF)
Legal Petition Demands New York Department of Environmental Conservation Revoke Animal Adventure Park Exhibitor LicenseNumerous violations documented at the facility of inadequate animal careMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Kate Mara to Pay Adoption Fees for All Canine CellMates Dog Graduates in Need of Immediate HomesAlternative sentencing program in Fulton County, Georgia pairs shelter dogs with criminal defendants to offer both training and a second chanceMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Oregon Supreme Court Denies Petition to Review Case Involving Lawsuit on Behalf of Abused HorseLawsuit sheds light on the need to recognize legal rights for animal cruelty victims.March 7, 2023 Press Release
Join the Animal Legal Defense Fund's email list to stay up to date on lawsuits, legislation, and regulations affecting animals.