Law Student Paper Series — Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral from Human Impacts
The health and condition of coral reefs continues to worsen in Florida and throughout the waters of the world, with a leading cause attributed to human activity. In recent years, there have been successful efforts in drawing attention to this ecological crisis leading to the passage of many laws and established programs to attempt to reverse the damage. Join Catherine Awasthi, Florida State University College of Law, as she presents on the legal and scientific issues associated with coral reefs, and the measures that are in place to rescue them. A brief Q&A to follow.
This webinar has been prerecorded. Watch it now!
- Are Corals Animals or Plants?
- Warming, Acidic Oceans May Nearly Eliminate Coral Reef Habitats by 2100
- Threats to Coral Reefs
- National Park Service – Protect Yourself, Protect the Reef
- Skincare Chemicals and Coral Reefs
- Ocean Warming Affecting Florida Reefs
- Coral City Camera
- Lawsuit Forces Trump Administration to Protect Habitat for 12 Coral Species
- Coral Reef Conservation Program
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection Twitter
- World’s First Coral Reef Insurance Policy Triggered by Hurricane Delta
- Lawsuit Settlement Critical Habitat from Center for Biological Diversity (PDF)
- Lawsuit Settlement Extension Critical Habitat from Center for Biological Diversity (PDF)
- The Port Miami Permit Application (PDF)
- Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral from Human Impacts by Catherine Awasthi (PDF)
- Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral – PPT Presentation (PDF)
Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, Bill Maher, and Dozens of Celebrities Urge New Jersey Legislators to Ban Gestation and Veal CratesActors Paul Wesley, Christina Ricci, Stevie Van Zandt and dozens of native and resident celebrities join the Animal Legal Defense Fund in an open letter urging the state’s legislators to end the intensive confinement of mother pigs and calves in New Jersey.May 10, 2021 Press Release
The Animal Legal Defense Fund files amicus brief seeking to prevent industries from using public record exemptions to hide information from the public.April 26, 2021 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund increases reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for harassing manatee in Citrus County, FloridaApril 20, 2021 Press Release