Law Student Paper Series — Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral from Human Impacts
The health and condition of coral reefs continues to worsen in Florida and throughout the waters of the world, with a leading cause attributed to human activity. In recent years, there have been successful efforts in drawing attention to this ecological crisis leading to the passage of many laws and established programs to attempt to reverse the damage. Join Catherine Awasthi, Florida State University College of Law, as she presents on the legal and scientific issues associated with coral reefs, and the measures that are in place to rescue them.
This webinar has been prerecorded. Watch it now!
- Are Corals Animals or Plants?
- Warming, Acidic Oceans May Nearly Eliminate Coral Reef Habitats by 2100
- Threats to Coral Reefs
- National Park Service – Protect Yourself, Protect the Reef
- Skincare Chemicals and Coral Reefs
- Ocean Warming Affecting Florida Reefs
- Coral City Camera
- Lawsuit Forces Trump Administration to Protect Habitat for 12 Coral Species
- Coral Reef Conservation Program
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection Twitter
- World’s First Coral Reef Insurance Policy Triggered by Hurricane Delta
- Lawsuit Settlement Critical Habitat from Center for Biological Diversity (PDF)
- Lawsuit Settlement Extension Critical Habitat from Center for Biological Diversity (PDF)
- The Port Miami Permit Application (PDF)
- Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral from Human Impacts by Catherine Awasthi (PDF)
- Colorless Coral: The Legal Landscape of Protecting Florida’s Coral – PPT Presentation (PDF)
Legal Petition Demands New York Department of Environmental Conservation Revoke Animal Adventure Park Exhibitor LicenseNumerous violations documented at the facility of inadequate animal careMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Kate Mara to Pay Adoption Fees for All Canine CellMates Dog Graduates in Need of Immediate HomesAlternative sentencing program in Fulton County, Georgia pairs shelter dogs with criminal defendants to offer both training and a second chanceMarch 16, 2023 Press Release
Oregon Supreme Court Denies Petition to Review Case Involving Lawsuit on Behalf of Abused HorseLawsuit sheds light on the need to recognize legal rights for animal cruelty victims.March 7, 2023 Press Release
Join the Animal Legal Defense Fund's email list to stay up to date on lawsuits, legislation, and regulations affecting animals.