Animal Bill of Rights
Do you believe animals deserve basic legal rights?
Sign the Animal Bill of Rights
My signature on the ANIMAL BILL OF RIGHTS stands as a loud declaration that animals deserve basic legal protections — recognized and enforced by law. Since basic rights for animals do not currently exist, I support the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s efforts to advocate for laws and/or policies that embody the spirit and principles of the following tenets:
- The Right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law without impediments.
- The Right of animals to have their status recognized under the law as living, feeling beings capable of a wide range of positive and negative experiences.
- The Right of animals to be protected under the law from exploitation and cruelty.
- The Right of animals in the wild to self-determination and an environment that allows them to engage in behavior natural to their species.
- The Right of animals under human care to have their species-specific and individual needs fulfilled to maximize their physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- The Right of animals subject to criminal acts to be legally recognized as crime victims.
How We Work
Mink VIRUS Act Introduced in the U.S. House to End Cruel and Dangerous Mink FarmingBill will reduce the risk of zoonotic disease transmission by phasing out mink farming and help operators transition out of the industryJune 1, 2023 Press Release
U.S. Supreme Court Upholds Constitutionality of California Foie Gras Ban After Prop 12 VictoryThird denial to review first state-wide ban, starting in 2014May 22, 2023 News
U.S. Supreme Court Upholds California’s Landmark Proposition 12 Animal Cruelty LawThe Animal Legal Defense Fund has helped defend California’s right to enact the strongest farmed animal protection law in the countryMay 11, 2023 Press Release