Animal Bill of Rights
Do you believe animals deserve basic legal rights?
Sign the Animal Bill of Rights
My signature on the ANIMAL BILL OF RIGHTS stands as a loud declaration that animals deserve basic legal protections — recognized and enforced by law. Since basic rights for animals do not currently exist, I support the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s efforts to advocate for laws and/or policies that embody the spirit and principles of the following tenets:
- The Right of animals to have their interests represented in court and safeguarded by the law without impediments.
- The Right of animals to have their status recognized under the law as living, feeling beings capable of a wide range of positive and negative experiences.
- The Right of animals to be protected under the law from exploitation and cruelty.
- The Right of animals in the wild to self-determination and an environment that allows them to engage in behavior natural to their species.
- The Right of animals under human care to have their species-specific and individual needs fulfilled to maximize their physical, emotional, and mental well-being.
- The Right of animals subject to criminal acts to be legally recognized as crime victims.
How We Work
U.S. Supreme Court Upholds California’s Landmark Proposition 12 Animal Cruelty LawThe Animal Legal Defense Fund has helped defend California’s right to enact the strongest farmed animal protection law in the countryMay 11, 2023 Press Release
USDA Restricting Access to Plant-Based Milks in National School Lunch Program is Dietary RacismProposed rule would maintain an unnecessarily complicated and confusing process for children to get access to plant-based milkMay 11, 2023 Press Release
$5,000 Reward for Information Regarding Six Killed and Mutilated Cows in Three Texas CountiesCows were killed in Madison, Brazos, and Robertson Counties, Texas.May 3, 2023 Press Release