Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #3 (Top Tier)
- +Animal cruelty is an abatable nuisance
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addresses related crimes, and the sexual assault of an animal is a sex offense
- +Increased penalties for cases involving multiple animals
- -No felony provision for abandonment
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
Take action now to help animals in your state.