Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #3 (Top Tier)
- +Animal cruelty is an abatable nuisance
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addresses related crimes, and the sexual assault of an animal is a sex offense
- +Increased penalties for cases involving multiple animals
- -No felony provision for abandonment
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
Animal Protection Laws of Oregon
The Animal Protection Laws of Oregon compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Oregon with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Banning the Sale of Foie Gras (Portland, OR)
Banning Coyote Killing Contests (Oregon)
Factory Farm Moratorium (Oregon)
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Oregon: Help Ban Coyote Killing Contests
Portland: Help Ban Foie Gras Sales
Oregon: Urge Gov. Brown to Say No to Proposed New Mega Dairy
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws