Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #7 (Top Tier)
- +Child protective investigators are required to report suspected animal cruelty and have civil immunity for doing so in good faith
- +Animal control officers must complete training on animal cruelty investigations
- +Has “Good Samaritan” law allowing civilians to rescue animals left unattended in cars
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -No felony provisions for animal neglect, abandonment, or sexual assault
Take action now to help animals in your state.