Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #6 (Top Tier)
- +Child protective investigators are required to report suspected animal cruelty and have civil immunity for doing so in good faith
- +Animal control officers must complete training on animal cruelty investigations
- +Has “Good Samaritan” law allowing civilians to rescue animals left unattended in cars
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -No felony provisions for negligent or reckless animal neglect or abandonment
Animal Protection Laws of Florida
The Animal Protection Laws of Florida compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Florida with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Ending the Shark Fin Trade (Florida)
Challenging Backyard Butchers in Florida
Ending Greyhound Racing in Florida
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws