Massachusetts: Ask Your State Legislators to Co-Sponsor Critical Animal Protection Bills in 2021
This action is for Massachusetts residents only.
The 2021-2022 legislative session in Massachusetts is underway, and your help is needed to ensure that strengthening the Commonwealth’s animal protection laws is a priority. Ask your state legislators to co-sponsor a list of critical animal protection bills this session.
- An Act to protect animals from convicted animal abusers(H.1824/S.1111) Sponsors: Rep. Nguyen, Rep. Hill, Sen. Moore
- An Act relative to the use of elephants, big cats, primates, giraffes, and bears in traveling exhibits(H.3776/S.2251) Sponsors: Rep. Ehrlich, Rep. Jones, Sen. Tarr
- An Act further regulating the enforcement of illegal hunting practices (H.904/S.587) Sponsors: Rep. Ehrlich, Rep. Ferrante, Sen. Moore
- An Act to upgrade hen welfare and establish uniform cage-free standards for egg-laying hens (H.864/S.36) Sponsors: Rep. Cahill, Sen. Lewis
- An Act prohibiting the sale of fur products (H.965/S.623) Sponsors: Rep. Lewis, Sen. Velis
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is also supporting other key animal protection bills, including the following.
- An Act protecting research animals(“Beagle Bill”) (H.901/H.890/S.613) Sponsors: Rep. Dykema, Rep. DuBois, Sen. Tarr
- An Act concerning the use of animals in product testing (H.966/S.584) Sponsors: Rep. Lewis, Sen. Montigny
- An Act enhancing the issuance of citations for cruel conditions for animals(H.1840/S.1097) Sponsors: Rep. Puppolo, Sen. Montigny
- An Act relative to ivory and rhinoceros horn (H.903/S.576) Sponsors: Rep. Ehrlich, Sen. Lewis
- An Act banning the retail sale of cats and dogs in pet shops(H.384/S.230) Sponsors: Rep. Higgins, Sen. O’Connor
- An Act protecting the health and safety of puppies and kittens in cities and towns(H.2148/S.1322) Sponsors: Rep. Campbell, Sen. Chandler
- An Act to Maintain Stable Housing for Families with Pets in an Economic Crisis and Beyond(H.1437/S.885) Sponsors: Rep. Rogers, Sen. Gobi
- Several bills to protect dogs in daycares and boarding facilities(H.305 “Ollie’s Law”/H.949/S.582/S.595) Sponsors: Rep. Ashe, Rep. Kane, Sen. Montigny, Sen. O’Connor
We also urge legislators not to co-sponsor any bills that would be harmful to animals, including bills that would weaken regulations relating to trapping fur-bearing mammals (H.913/H.1016/H.1022/S.554) and repeal the law prohibiting Sunday hunting (H.914/H.984/H.1015/H.1019/H.1032/S.547).
Your state legislators need to know that you believe animal protection should be a legislative priority.
- Call your state senator and representative and urge them to co-sponsor these animal protection bills. Phone calls have much more impact than emails. If you’re able to make a phone call, please do so. You can use this message: “As a constituent, I’m calling to urge my legislator to co-sponsor several animal protection bills to restrict convicted animal abusers’ access to animals (H.1824/S.1111), protect wild animals from circuses (H.3776/S.2251), increase outdated fines for poaching Massachusetts wildlife (H.904/S.587), upgrade protections for egg-laying hens (H.864/S.36) and prohibit the retail sale of new fur products (H.965/S.623).”
- After calling, please send a follow-up email to your legislators using the form below. Personalizing your message will help it stand out.
Chelsea Handler, Ethan Hawke, Bill Maher, and Dozens of Celebrities Urge New Jersey Legislators to Ban Gestation and Veal CratesActors Paul Wesley, Christina Ricci, Stevie Van Zandt and dozens of native and resident celebrities join the Animal Legal Defense Fund in an open letter urging the state’s legislators to end the intensive confinement of mother pigs and calves in New Jersey.May 10, 2021 Press Release
International Fur Trade Federation’s amended complaints dismissed in decisive victory for animalsMarch 31, 2021 Press Release