Critical Caselaw: An Animal-Forward Approach to 1st Amendment Jurisprudence
The art humans make and the spirituality humans practice have involved animals throughout time. As such, it is no surprise that animal cases have given rise to some of this nation’s most notable 1st Amendment rulings, both for freedoms of speech and religious freedoms.
The stories these cases tell are complex, and woven throughout is an often unspoken question: how significantly do the rights of animals weigh in the arena of human constitutional rights?
Join David B. Rosengard, Animal Legal Defense Fund Managing Attorney, for an exploration of these cases and their implications through the lens of animal law. In doing so, we will discuss not only court opinions and dissents, but also examine how considering these cases in the context of animal interests challenges established readings, untangles seeming contradictions, and helps us build caselaw that is better for humans and animals alike. A brief Q&A to follow.
This webinar has been pre-recorded. Watch it now!
- Supreme Court: Depictions of Cruelty
- Fifth Circuit Rules that Animal Crush Video Law Prohibits Obscenity and Congress Has Significant Interest in Preventing Animal Cruelty
- Critical Caselaw: An Animal-Forward Approach to 1st Amendment Jurisprudence – PPT Presentation (PDF)
- Lukumi at Twenty: A Legacy of Uncertainty for Religious Liberty and Animal Welfare Laws (PDF)
- The Church of Animal Liberation: Animal Rights as Religion Under the Free Exercise Clause (PDF)
- Three Hots and a Cot and a lot of Talk: Discussing Federal Rights-Based Avenues for Prisoner Access to Vegan Meals (PDF)
Additional $20,000 reward offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for attacking and mutilating dozens of brown pelicans on the coast of Orange County, California.July 20, 2021 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund offers reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for operating and crash-landing a drone at the Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve in Orange County, CaliforniaJuly 8, 2021 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund increases reward offer for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for attacking over 30 pelicans in Orange County, CaliforniaJune 30, 2021 Press Release