Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
- +Enhanced penalties for cases involving repeat animal abusers or multiple animals
- -No felony neglect or abandonment provisions
- -Inadequate definitions of minimum standards of care that guardians must provide for their animals
- -No statutorily authorized mental health evaluation/treatment at sentencing
- -Veterinarians and social services professionals not required to report suspected animal cruelty, and do not have civil immunity for doing so
Take action now to help animals in your state.