Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #5 (Top Tier)
- +Mandatory post-conviction possession bans
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, abandonment, fighting, and sexual assault of animals
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -Sexual assault of animals statute is poorly defined
Animal Protection Laws of Rhode Island
The Animal Protection Laws of Rhode Island compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Rhode Island with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Banning the Sale of Foie Gras (Rhode Island)
Banning the sale of fur (Rhode Island)
Take action now to help animals in your own state.
Rhode Island: Protect Animals Killed for Their Fur
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws