Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #5 (Top Tier)
- +Mandatory post-conviction possession bans
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, abandonment, fighting, and sexual assault of animals
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -Sexual assault of animals statute is poorly defined
Take action now to help animals in your own state.