Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #21 (Middle Tier)
- +Animals may be included in protection orders
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, abandonment, sexual assault, and fighting
- -No provisions for pre-conviction forfeiture of abused animals
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -Veterinarians are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
Take action now to help animals in your state.