Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
- +Veterinarians have civil immunity for reporting suspected animal cruelty
- -Seizure laws limited to select species
- -Felony provisions available only for cruelty against select animals and fighting select animals
- -No statutory authority to allow protective orders to include animals
- -No mandatory forfeiture of animals upon conviction, and permissive forfeiture only available for select animals
Take action now to help animals in your state.