Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #1 (Top Tier)
- +Thorough definitions for standards of care that guardians must provide for their animals
- +Has a Courtroom Animal Advocate Program
- +Mandatory post-conviction possession bans for certain crimes, and temporary pre-conviction possession ban
- -Restitution for costs of care of seized animals is not mandatory
- -Sexual assault of animals is only a misdemeanor
Animal Protection Laws of Maine
The Animal Protection Laws of Maine compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Maine with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Creating a Companion Animal Custody Law (Maine)
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws