Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #47 (Bottom Tier)
- +Certain convicted offenders must undergo mental health evaluations or treatment
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -No felony provisions for negligent or reckless animal neglect or abandonment
- -No statutorily authorized post-conviction possession bans
- -No statutory authority to allow protective orders to include animals
Animal Protection Laws of Idaho
The Animal Protection Laws of Idaho compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Idaho with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Challenging Idaho’s Ag-Gag Law
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws