Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #31 (Middle Tier)
- +Has a Courtroom Animal Advocate Program
- +Social services professionals have a duty to report suspected animal cruelty
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
- -No statutorily authorized post-conviction forfeiture or possession bans
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
Animal Protection Laws of Connecticut
The Animal Protection Laws of Connecticut compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Connecticut with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Protecting Animals Used in Circuses (Connecticut)
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Connecticut: Help end cruel circus abuse
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Combatting Wildlife Trafficking (Connecticut)
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws