Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #29 (Middle Tier)
- +Has a Courtroom Animal Advocate Program
- +Social services professionals have a duty to report suspected animal cruelty
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
- -No statutorily authorized post-conviction forfeiture or possession bans
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
Take action now to help animals in your state.