Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #30 (Middle Tier)
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, abandonment and fighting
- +Peace officers have a duty to seize cruelly treated animals
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
- -Statute prohibiting sexual assault of animals is poorly defined and is only a misdemeanor
- -Social services professionals are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
Take action now to help animals in your state.