Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 19 different categories of animal protection.
- +Has sentence enhancements for repeat animal abusers
- -Felony animal cruelty and animal fighting only covers limited species
- -Veterinarians are not required to report suspected abuse
- -No statutory provisions for post-conviction restitution or forfeiture, except in cases involving horses and sexual assault of animals
- -No statutorily authorized mental health treatment or evaluation except in cases involving sexual assault of animals
Take action now to help animals in your state.