Chief Financial Officer
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Job Description: Chief Financial Officer
Term of Employment: Exempt Full-time
Reports to: Executive Director/CEO
The Chief Financial Officer will be a member of the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s Senior Executive Team and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer. The CFO will be responsible for managing ALDF’s financial operations, including managing the accounting department, overseeing ALDF’s cash flow, preparing budgets, and tracking financial metrics. The CFO will also be responsible for monitoring and reporting ALDF’s overall financial health and making recommendations to ALDF’s CEO, Senior Executive Team, and Board of Directors.
As a member of ALDF’s Senior Executive Team, the CFO will also help guide organizational planning and strategic direction.
- All aspects of ALDF’s financial and accounting tools, processes, operations, metrics, and reports, including:
- Managing organizational cash flow
- Creating and tracking financial metrics and analyzing trends
- Regularly assessing ALDF’s financial software adequacy and needs and making recommendations for improvement
- Monitoring performance of ALDF investment accounts and making recommendations to maximize ROI
- Developing and monitoring budgets at the organizational and individual program level
- Ensuring all financial operations comply with federal and state laws
- Preparing and presenting monthly, quarterly, annual, and as-needed financial statements to the Senior Executive Team and Board of Directors
- Coordinating the annual audit with outside auditors
- Supervising the accounting department to ensure accuracy, and legal and policy compliance
- Monitoring expense allocations throughout the year that impact the Statement of Functional Expenses
- Assure compliance with the terms for expenditures and reporting for restricted funds
- As a member of the Senior Executive Team and Leadership Team, assisting with establishing organizational performance metrics and assuring the organization is on track to meet strategic and business goals, including:
- Actively contributing to team decision-making regarding business and strategic direction
- Modeling ALDF’s core values, including maintaining a positive, professional and supportive organizational culture
- Assuring that all program directors understand the budget development and implementation process and the importance of financial metrics and goals
- Supporting program staff in understanding and managing their budget
- Minimum five years of experience as a CFO in a similar size or larger organization (preferably in a nonprofit organization)
- Prior experience in nonprofit accounting
- Proven track record in managing accounting staff
- Excellent knowledge of data analysis, risk management and forecasting methods
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent communications skills, including the ability to explain financial terms and concepts in simple language and relate them to organizational performance metrics
- Understanding of and commitment to ALDF’s mission: “To Protect the Lives and Advance the Interests of Animals Through the Legal System”
- BSc or MSc in Finance, Accounting or relevant field
- MBA or other applicable advanced degree preferred
Nice to have:
- Experience with SAGE Intacct
- Experience with managing restricted donations
- Experience with the Statement of Functional Expenses
- Experience with the requirements of charity ranking organizations, e.g. Better Business Bureau Wise Giving Alliance, Guidestar, etc.
- CPA or CFA certification
Salary and Benefits:
The Animal Legal Defense Fund provides its staff with competitive salaries — benchmarked by an outside consultancy to ensure no overt or inadvertent bias — and a generous benefits package, which includes fully covering health care premiums on the organization’s plans, higher than average Paid Time Off (PTO), and access to a 401K account after one full year on staff — with 5% matching by the company and staff are fully vesting upon eligibility.
Please see workataldf.org for more information about our compensation, benefits, and policies.
Equal Opportunity Employment Information:
The Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is committed to providing an employment environment which is welcoming of persons from diverse backgrounds and free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, and in which all legal rights of our employees are recognized and protected. ALDF conducts all internal and external operations, programs, and employment-related decision-making (including hiring decisions) without regard to actual or perceived race, ancestry, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, immigration status, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, political affiliation, disability or medical condition (including physical, intellectual, or psychiatric), sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, age, or other protected category, and in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws.
How To Apply:
Please no phone calls. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com.
The Act has authority to protect federally endangered and threatened animals such as the tigers, lions, and ring-tailed lemurs enduring inadequate treatment at Tiger CreekJanuary 10, 2022 Press Release
International Fur Trade Federation agreed to dismiss its appeal, ending case in decisive victory for animalsJanuary 6, 2022 Press Release
Class-action lawsuit alleges thousands in California purchased dogs under the false belief they were rescue animalsDecember 16, 2021 Press Release