Critical Caselaw: What’s an Animal’s Life Worth?
Join Animal Legal Defense Fund Staff Attorney Ariel Flint for a discussion about damages and valuation in tort cases involving companion animals. The webinar will reflect on how the legal system has valued the life of an animal in the past, and how it might do so differently going forward.
This webinar has been pre-recorded. Watch it now!
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Litigation Program
- Litigation – List of Cases
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Fellowships
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Clerkships
- Animal Legal Defense Fund Pro Bono Program
- Animals Recognized as Legal Persons for the First Time in U.S. Court
- Justice the Horse Sues Abuser
- Animals’ Legal Status
- Lujan v. Defenders of Wildlife, 504 U.S. 555 (1992)
- Martinez v. Robledo, 127 Cal. Rptr. 3d 921, 925 (Cal. Ct. App. 2012)
- Strickland v. Medlen, 397 S.W.3d 184 (Tex. 2013)
- Anne Arundel Cty. v. Reeves, 474 Md. 46 (2021)
- Anne Arundel Cty. v. Reeves, 474 Md. 46 (2021) (Hotten, J., dissenting)
- Lachenman v. Stice, 838 N.E.2d 451 (Ind. Ct. App. 2005)
- Naples v. Miller, No. CIV.A.08C-01-093PLA, 2009 WL 1163504 (Del. Super. Ct. Apr. 30, 2009
- Critical Caselaw: What’s an Animal’s Life Worth – PPT Presentation (PDF)
Short Film Reveals the Cruelty and Pervasiveness of Puppy Mills as New York and other Jurisdictions Pass and Support Retail Sales BansActress Christian Serratos narrates the Animal Legal Defense Fund film advocating for an end to puppy millsNovember 16, 2022 Press Release
Predatory financing law bans loans that often trap borrowers with high interest ratesSeptember 26, 2022 Press Release
The California Court of Appeals affirmed a ruling by a lower court recognizing Society for the Prevention of Animal Cruelty (SPCA) organizations’ ability to file lawsuits against entities that violate existing animal protection laws.June 9, 2022 Press Release