Updates about legal issues facing animals in the territory
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your territory and what actions you can take for animals.
State and Territory Rankings
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state or territory’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state or territory is ranked based on 19 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #4 (Middle Tier)
- +Wide range of care standards/requirements including food, water, shelter, care, and space
- +Felony provisions for first-time neglect
- -Cockfighting is not criminalized under territory’s law
- -No prohibition on sexual assault of an animal
- -No statutorily authorized post-conviction possession bans
Take action now to help animals in your territory.