Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 19 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #28 (Middle Tier)
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so
- +Animals may be included in protection orders
- -No statutorily authorized post-conviction possession bans
- -Mental health evaluation or treatment only statutorily authorized in bestiality cases
- -Care requirements/standards are not well defined
Take action now to help animals in your state.