Looking for a career in animal law? ALDF offers a list of current employment opportunities at various law firms and non-profit organizations across the country. Interested in promoting your opportunity? Use our opportunity submission form, we will review your submission and consider it for publication on aldf.org.
Officer of Philanthropic Giving
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Position Open: Officer of Philanthropic Giving
(Planned Giving & Major Gifts)
Term of Employment:
New York City area
Director of Development
Attn: Vaughn Maurice
Animal Legal Defense Fund
170 E. Cotati Ave.
Cotati, CA 94931
Position Objectives: The Officer of Philanthropic Giving is primarily responsible for gifts of estates, trusts, charitable annuities, life insurance, and other financial vehicles that reflect financial planning and deferred giving opportunities while maintaining and cultivating a portfolio of major gift prospects.
1. Supports the overall long-term financial strength of the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) by identifying, cultivating and soliciting planned giving prospects; stewards donors for deferred and complex gifts; and serves as an expert resource to close complicated gifts.
2. Enhances donor gift planning and giving by remaining current in areas of gift possibilities available.
3. Provides a high level of knowledge and expertise in areas of gift planning strategies and deferred giving vehicles as well as major gifts, general fundraising, and estate and financial planning.
4. Manages a national prospect list while serving as the primary contact for all planned giving inquiries.
5. Communicates the status of current fundraising activities and stimulates interest in gift giving by preparing written materials including proposals, contact reports, brochures, gift acknowledgments, articles, and administrative reports.
6. Assures donor confidentiality as well as the confidentiality of ALDF clients.
7. Plans, develops, and implements various gift planning programs, marketing initiatives and communications strategies.
8. Responsible for creating and implementing a development plan for planned giving components.
9. Contributes to the overall success of the Development Department by performing all other duties as assigned.
The Successful Candidate Will Have :
1. A minimum of three years very closely related work experience. BA/BS or equivalent work experience. MA or JD a plus.
2. A demonstrated interest and experience with animal rights issues and be committed to the mission of ALDF.
3. A high degree of computer literacy including experience with Microsoft Office suite (Word and Excel in particular) and internet research skills.
4. Experience with donor database management and be skilled in their use for reporting and retrieving donor information and tracking donor activity.
5. Excellent writing skills.
6. A demonstrated ability to think strategically, problem solve, and manage multiple tasks concurrently.
7. The ability to build relationships with a broad range of constituents with varying cultural, political and social backgrounds, including potential donors, funders, and sponsors.
8. Excellent references relevant to similar positions held.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary range $75k to $90k. Excellent benefits package including 100% employer paid health insurance for employees and 24 days of PTO annually.
How to Apply: To apply, applicants should email a cover letter, resume and the names and phone numbers of three references to Vaughn Maurice at HR@ALDF.org. Please include “Director of Planned Giving” in your email subject header.
Application Period: Applications will be accepted until position is filled.
Location: New York CIty Area, New York