Clerkships, Internships & Fellowships
Law students looking for clerkships, internships or fellowships can find a curated list of opportunities here.
Interested in promoting your opportunity? Fill out our opportunity submission form, we will review your submission and consider it for publication on aldf.org.
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Are you a news junkie who always reads the “animal stories” first? A budding writer who moonlights at your local animal shelter? Do you have a passion for animal protection combined with a professional eye for detail? The national nonprofit Animal Legal Defense Fund, based in Cotati (Sonoma County), California is looking for communications interns to work out of our pet-friendly headquarters office. We’re looking for hardworking candidates who have a desire to learn about nonprofit communications work, possess strong on- and offline communication skills, and work well independently. A demonstrated commitment to animal protection and advocacy is a must.
Location: Cotati, Calif. (Remote applicants will be considered, but preference will be given to candidates who can intern at our Cotati office.)
Terms of employment: Temporary, $1500 stipend. 20 hours/week for (minimum) 8 weeks during the summer or school-year.
- Assist with letter-writing campaigns, opinion pieces, and letters-to-the-editor.
- Engage with and represent ALDF professionally in online discussions, articles, and other news pieces.
- Assist with social media campaigns, particularly with the use of Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook, and Twitter.
- Create and edit online content about ALDF casework, initiatives, and resources.
- Host and organize local tabling and awareness events in the Bay Area.
- Attend and participate in North Bay/Bay Area conferences and other animal protection events on behalf of ALDF.
- You must have at least one year of related work or volunteer experience, currently be enrolled in college, or be a college graduate.
- You must demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- You must support ALDF’s mission to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals through the legal system.
- You must have a demonstrated commitment to animal protection.
- A resume and cover letter.
- Two letters of recommendation (from teachers, managers, etc.—no personal recommendations, please).
- Two writing samples demonstrating your ability to write clearly for different audiences (maximum two-pages each—show us you know how to keep it catchy, concise, and to the point). Published blogs, letters-to-the-editor, and articles are a plus. (Nothing published? Draft something for us!)
Please email your applications to email@example.com, with the subject line “Communications Intern.” Applications will be accepting on a rolling basis; please indicate your availability with your application.
Location: Cotati, California