Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #27 (Middle Tier)
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty
- +Has “Good Samaritan” law allowing civilians to rescue animals left unattended in cars
- -No felony provisions for negligent or reckless animal neglect or abandonment
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
- -Definition of “animal” is limited
Animal Protection Laws of Wisconsin
The Animal Protection Laws of Wisconsin compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for Wisconsin with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Challenging University of Wisconsin’s Censorship of Speech on Social Media
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Challenging the Treatment of Animals at Special Memories Zoo
Lawsuit Against University of WI to Produce Research Records on Monkeys
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws