Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #26 (Middle Tier)
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty
- +Has “Good Samaritan” law allowing civilians to rescue animals left unattended in cars
- -No felony provisions for neglect or abandonment of an animal
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
- -Definition of “animal” is limited
Take action now to help animals in your state.