Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #35 (Middle Tier)
- +Wide range of care standards/requirements including food, water, shelter, care, and space
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addressed related crimes, and is a sex offense
- -No felony provisions for negligent or reckless animal neglect or abandonment
- -Veterinarians are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -No provisions for pre-conviction forfeiture
Animal Protection Laws of South Dakota
The Animal Protection Laws of South Dakota compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for South Dakota with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Stop Ag-Gag Laws
No More Puppy Mills
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Prohibiting Circuses and Traveling Shows that Exploit Animals
Using Local Legislation to Protect Animals: Fur Bans
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws