Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals. This page is meant to be used as a resource to see what is happening in your state and what actions you can take for animals.
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. It is the longest-running and most authoritative of its kind, assessing the strength of each state’s animal protection laws by examining over 3,400 pages of statutes. Each state is ranked based on 19 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #33 (Middle Tier)
- +Wide range of care standards/requirements including food, water, shelter, care, and space
- +Sexual assault statute is adequately defined, addressed related crimes, and is a sex offense
- -No felony provisions for neglect or abandonment
- -Veterinarians are not required to report suspected animal cruelty
- -No provisions for pre-conviction forfeiture
Take action now to help animals in your state.