Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #18 (Middle Tier)
- +Felony provisions for cruelty, neglect, abandonment, and fighting
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so
- -No statutory authority to allow protective orders to include animals
- -Neglect laws do not include requirements for shelter, veterinary care, etc.
- -No statutorily authorized sentencing to mental health evaluation or treatment
Take action now to help animals in your state.