Updates about legal issues facing animals in the state
The Animal Legal Defense Fund works at the federal, state and local levels to protect the lives and advance the interests of animals.
Animal Protection Laws Ranking
Each year, the Animal Legal Defense Fund publishes its U.S. State Animal Protection Laws Rankings Report. Each state is ranked based on 20 different categories of animal protection.
Overall Rank: #9 (Top Tier)
- +Animals may be included in protection orders
- +Veterinarians must report suspected animal cruelty, and have immunity for doing so in good faith
- +Mandatory post-conviction possession ban
- -Seizure and pre-conviction forfeiture statute is not clear, and pre-conviction forfeiture is very limited
- -Standards for minimum acceptable care for animals (e.g. necessary food, water, shelter) are not well-defined
Animal Protection Laws of California
The Animal Protection Laws of California compendium contains the general animal protection and related statutes for California with an effective date on or before September 1, 2022.
Take action now to help animals in your state.
Challenging the Sale of Puppy Mill Dogs – Barkworks Class Action
Urging California Air Resources Board to Regulate Factory Farm Emissions
Opposing SeaWorld San Diego Permit for Expansion
Challenging Cal EXPO’s Use of Farrowing Crates (2017)
Animal Legal Defense Fund 2022 State Animal Protection Laws Ranking Report
See the best and worst states for animal protection laws