Law Student Paper Series — Environmental Responsibility & Animal Protection — Overlooked by Pension Plan Regulation
Animal and environmental protection have tremendous long-term repercussions on economic stability, human health, and national security. Yet problematic regulations regarding fiduciary duty make it difficult to factor these considerations in tax-privileged pension planning under ERISA. This has a chilling effect on necessary investments to shift towards a more sustainable and compassionate economy and has concerning consequences for future retirees, which the law is intended to benefit and protect. Join Benjamin Cregger, Lewis & Clark Law School, as they provide a closer look at recent regulatory changes, which are potentially problematic for human and nonhuman animals. A brief Q&A to follow.
This webinar has been pre-recorded. Watch it now!
- Environmental Responsibility & Animal Protection – Overlooked by Pension Plan Regulation by Benjamin Cregger (PDF)
- NEDC Comments on Proposed Rule on Financial Factors in Selecting Plan Investments – July 2020 (PDF)
- EBSA – Financial Factors in Selecting Plan Investments – November 2020 (PDF)
- Executive Order 13990 – Protecting Public Healthy and the Environment and Restoring Science to Tackle the Climate Crisis – January 2020 (PDF)
- Fact Sheet: List of Agency Actions for Review
- EBSA – U.S. Department of Labor Statement Regarding Enforcement of Its Final Rules on ESG Investments and Proxy Voting by Employee Benefit Plans – March 2021 (PDF)
- Fiduciary Duty in the 21st Century, Final Report (PDF)
- Petition to the SEC for Rulemaking on Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) Disclosures – October 2018 (PDF)
- Al Gore – Fiduciary Duty in the 21st Century and the Sustainability Revolution
The California Court of Appeals affirmed a ruling by a lower court recognizing Society for the Prevention of Animal Cruelty (SPCA) organizations’ ability to file lawsuits against entities that violate existing animal protection laws.June 9, 2022 Press Release
Reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person or people responsible for illegally shooting and killing a red wolf in Tyrrell County, North Carolina.May 24, 2022 Press Release
Animal Legal Defense Fund files motion for summary judgement with damning evidence against the universityMay 19, 2022 Press Release