Director of Operations
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Term of Employment: Full-time, exempt
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer (COO)
Location: Cotati, California
Description: The Director of Operations manages operational policies, procedures, and initiatives of the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) infrastructure related to donation processing, income reconciliation, database systems management and data security, business continuity, legal compliance, IT, and facilities management consistent with ALDF’s overarching organizational strategy and business plan. They are responsible for developing and implementing short and long-term strategic objectives related to the efficient operation of the organization across offices and programs as well as providing a secure and efficient IT infrastructure. They are responsible for signing checks and other legal business documents, in conjunction with the COO. The Director of Operations is responsible for working closely with the Executive Director, the Chief Operating Officer, the Chief Programs Officer, General Counsel, and other ALDF Directors as members of the ALDF Leadership Team to achieve ALDF’s organizational objectives and strategic campaigns, which requires significant cross-programmatic communication, collaboration, and cooperation. Finally, the director is responsible, along with other members of the Leadership Team, for managing the day-to-day operations of ALDF within the defined strategic and financial envelope established by ALDF’s strategic plan, business plan, and budget.
- Create and manage the annual operating budgets and business plans for Operations and IT.
- Manage, support, and professionally develop department staff.
- Generate or review documents to ensure ALDF is following various operational practices and procedures, including PCI compliance, business continuity and disaster recovery plans, best practices for document retention and acceptable use policies.
- Manage departmental projects and assign tasks to department staff and/or volunteers
- Conduct ongoing reviews of departmental and organizational spending and make recommendations to reduce costs where possible.
- Continually evaluate current processes and procedures for improvement opportunities by identifying real and potential problems; and providing alternative solutions and corrections.
- Provide project updates and recommendations for enhancements to the COO.
- Direct large-scale implementation projects for new technology and database solutions.
- Manage ALDF’s credit card and expense tracking platform, including infrastructure updates and staff credit card management (new hire, end of hire, credit limit updates, etc.).
- Maintain IRS compliant practices with regards to donation processing and tax receipting, implementing enhancements as needed.
- Work closely with Finance department to manage reconciliation of donor database (ROI Solutions) with Finance database, including reconciliation with lockbox vendor and other avenues of donation processing.
- Supervise security with regards to donor data, ensuring PCI compliance, and appropriate procedures and incident response plans are in place.
- Manage merchant account vendors utilized for credit card donation processing
- Supervise onsite processing of donations for check, credit card, cash, and ACH donations
- Direct activities of lockbox vendor for direct mail donation processing mailed to ALDF’s Washington DC post office box
- Supervise processing of corporate matching, stock, affiliate, estate, foundation/grant, donor advised fund, trust, vehicle donation, and other incoming gift types.
- Lead event donation and registration processing
- Set up and manage vendor portals and systems for processing ALDF’s various channels of incoming donations
Database Management and Reporting
- Manage and maintain donor CRM, direct marketing and advocacy systems (online and offline database tools) (e.g., ROI Solutions, Engaging Networks, EveryAction, etc.), in conjunction with other departments where relevant.
- Perform high level analysis of data from donor databases for reporting and data integrity purposes.
- Scope and drive future enhancements with donor database vendors and corresponding API’s.
- Extract data from database systems for financial reporting, mailings, data entry, and acknowledgments to support program departments and development efforts
- Direct provisioning of database logic and generation of acknowledgment data files, creation of custom reports, and implementation of other logic/programing changes.
- Work with Finance and Development to provide expertise and assist in development of financial income dashboard.
- Work directly with Development and direct marketing vendor to support direct mail program and fundraising efforts.
- Guide staff training on various databases and related tools.
- Further the development, implementation, and performance of new and existing IT solutions.
- Lead management of technology vendors including VOIP, ISP, Office 365, Sharepoint, mobile phones, IT managed services, and software vendors.
- Work with IT Manager to develop, implement, and maintain information and communication management systems to further support interoffice connectivity.
- Supervise the ordering, management, and maintenance of hardware including laptops, switches, routers, firewalls, desk and mobile phones, servers, hard drives, and other IT related hardware.
- Supervise new staff technical onboarding, including training on how to access ALDF’s emails, instant messaging system, file share and other systems, and provide access to appropriate databases.
- Guide orientation and training for staff and drive successful adoption of IT tools.
- Supervise ongoing maintenance and updating of ALDF’s IT Acceptable Use Policy.
- Direct headquarters office security, including alarm system and building access
- Manage and facilitate major equipment purchases/leases.
- Drive office related construction and infrastructure projects.
- Direct all aspects of facilities management including utilities, housekeeping, maintenance, and landscaping of Cotati (headquarters) office.
- Lead management of headquarters and remote offices, including leases and equipment.
- Work closely with ALDF’s department directors to champion strategy, set policy and identify scalable ways to meet the needs of departmental and organizational goals.
- Lead support for Animal Law program, Pro Bono program, and Project Management program requirements for mailings/conferences materials and other administrative tasks related to law professionals and events.
- Participate in leadership and strategic meetings that shape and determine both the long-term and short-term organizational goals for ALDF, as well as the three-year strategic plans.
- As a member of the Leadership Team, work with peers to manage ALDF’s day-to-day execution of business within the defined strategic and financial envelope established by ALDF’s strategic plan, business plan, and budget.
- A clear understanding of and commitment to the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s mission
- High level of fiscal responsibility and trustworthiness in dealing with confidential financial, organizational, and donor data.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or nonprofit management or equivalent experience.
- Seven or more years’ nonprofit operations management experience, including with similar sized or larger organization, with proven successful department and staff management.
- Excellence in nonprofit finance.
- Five or more years’ experience with donation databases containing 500,000+ records.
- Five or more years’ donation processing management and related vendor management experience.
- Experience managing donation processing flow with expertise in processing various types of income including stocks, grants, estates, and in-kind donations.
- Experience managing IT vendors as well as the ability to evaluate and recommend appropriate technology solutions to meet the goals of ALDF and various department programs
- Ability to implement vision, think strategically, creatively problem solve, and exercise superb judgment.
- Substantial expertise developing, deploying, and managing cross-programmatic policies and procedures, and sustained success operating cross-functionally at both a strategic and a tactical level.
- Intermediate to advanced skills and experience with office software applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and CRM systems. Experience in a Sharepoint environment a plus.
- Knowledge of SQL a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Self-starter with demonstrated experience creating and implementing new initiatives.
- Proven effectiveness managing staff, in-person and remotely.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent references.
Please see workatALDF.org for more information about our compensation, benefits and policies.
The Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is committed to providing an employment environment which is welcoming of persons from diverse backgrounds and free from unlawful discrimination and harassment, and in which all legal rights of our employees are recognized and protected. ALDF conducts all internal and external operations, programs, and employment-related decision making (including hiring decisions) without regard to actual or perceived race, ancestry, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, immigration status, sex or gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, political affiliation, disability or medical condition (including physical, intellectual, or psychiatric), sexual orientation, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, age, or other protected category, and in compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local anti-discrimination and anti-harassment laws.
How to Apply:
Please no phone calls. To apply, please send a resume and cover letter (both are required) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send transcripts, recommendation letters, or writing samples to this email box, as they will not be considered.
Tofurky and Plant Based Foods Association Team Up to Challenge Unconstitutional Oklahoma Censorship Label LawLawsuit asserts the law creates a patchwork of standards that threaten to preclude nationwide sales for plant-based meat producersNovember 10, 2021 Press Release
An international fight to protect Pablo Escobar’s hippos from slaughter results in a U.S. federal court order recognizing animals can be “interested persons”October 20, 2021 Press Release