COO Executive Administrator
Animal Legal Defense Fund
***Please note this position has recently been updated/upleveled. All qualified candidates, including previous applicants who meet the updated qualifications, are encouraged to apply.***
Description: The Executive Administrator will fulfill the critical role of supporting the Chief Operating Officer in order to advance the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s mission and goals.
The person in this position performs executive administrative functions that include a wide variety of highly complex duties; and coordinates communications between the COO and senior executives, board members, directors, staff, vendors and donors.
The Executive Administrator will support the Chief Operating Officer and will be empowered to think outside of the box, be autonomous, make recommendations and take ownership for administrative strategies and execution of specific tasks.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS OF THIS POSITION:
The Executive Administrator is distinguished from the Executive Assistant classification by performance of executive level administrative duties that require advanced levels of independent judgment, discretion, initiative, problem-solving skills, tact and poise. This classification works with minimal day-to-day supervision, and must be able to plan, organize, and follow through with job duties and responsibilities.
Essential Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Create and manage annual administrative budget.
- Plan, organize, coordinate, and direct office workflow for the COO ensuring timelines are met; and coordinate and oversee projects as assigned by the COO.
- Receive, process, secure signatures, and appropriately route paperwork, including hiring documents, requisitions, and requests for payment.
- Anticipate needs and initiate activities to resolve minor problems and respond to and assist the COO in resolving difficult and sensitive inquiries, complaints, and requests for information and assistance. Compose correspondence on own initiative for matters not requiring personal responses of the COO.
- Prepare department and team meeting agendas and take minutes as assigned. Follow up with meeting participants after meetings to update action logs, and to document action items/next steps, responsible parties, and timelines.
- Proactively manage and coordinate recurring and ongoing activities such as weekly team meetings, management meetings, global meetings, reoccurring meetings, vendor meetings, employee engagement initiatives and training.
- Schedule meetings with internal staff, vendors, and other key contacts.
- Serve as lead for, and manager of, small projects.
- Assist in the creation of documents for presentations.
- Create correspondence independently on behalf of COO.
- Convert concepts and ideas from discussions and meetings into reports, spreadsheets; agendas, briefing materials and presentation materials to analyze information or make business decisions.
- Responsible for ensuring that the COO meets financial accountabilities, including creating and submitting timely monthly expense reports, orders, review of spend against budget and other policies.
- Maintain close connection with program directors, Finance department, Operations Manager, In-House Counsel, and HR to ensure compliance and drive efficiencies.
- Actively manage Microsoft Outlook calendars and related communication regarding incoming requests from internal and external stakeholders. In addition to basic scheduling functions, ability to anticipate and prioritize scheduling needs based on deadlines and deliverables. Must be able to react quickly and make decisions based on priority, minimizing disruptions and resolving schedule conflicts.
- Make travel, meeting, and other event arrangements as needed.
- Provide general correspondence via email, phone, and other means for communication with outside vendors and other key contacts. May include mail merging documents and email blasts.
- Schedule and start GoToMeeting conference calls as needed.
- Create presentations, reports, and spreadsheets as requested.
- Provide research on critical issues as requested, through internet-based searches and direct contact with relevant parties.
- Responsible on a quarterly basis for combining multiple department PowerPoint reports into single document for the board.
- Create and maintain electronic and paper filing systems as needed.
- Arrange for COO to sign any documents requiring signature. Schedule notarization if necessary.
- Create detailed Outlook appointments for COO’s travel, meeting, and other event arrangements.
- Create and update COO’s contacts.
- Organize occasional events and meetings, including planning for meals onsite and offsite (e.g. vendor meetings, leadership team meetings, donor meetings, etc.)
- Interface with Leadership Team for annual and quarterly business planning and reporting purposes.
- Manage and oversee planning, attendance, and agenda for annual and regular all-staff meetings, Leadership Team meetings, Legal Strategy meetings and other meetings.
- Oversee scheduling and distribution of quarterly staff performance evaluations.
- Regularly execute special projects as assigned.
- Provide occasional support to other senior executives, as directed by the COO.
- Must have minimum 10 years of experience in similar position supporting executive level staff.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution OR completion of an AA/AS degree or the equivalent and five years of complex administrative office work, including five years as an assistant to a high level executive, manager, or administrator.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Ability to compile information and write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals using correct English usage, grammar, spelling, punctuation and vocabulary.
- Ability to learn quickly and apply specific laws, regulations, rules, policies and procedures of the department and functions to which assigned.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and discretion in analyzing and resolving confidential, difficult and sensitive situations.
- Ability to effectively present information in person or on the telephone.
- Ability to analyze and independently problem solve complex issues.
- Must be trustworthy and use discretion when handling highly confidential information.
- Must be “computer literate” with strong working knowledge of common computer applications including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Reader, Skype, Web browsers, etc. Familiarity with mail merge a plus.
- Must have excellent organizational and prioritization skills and be able to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to think strategically and juggle multiple tasks and deadlines while maintaining composure.
- Must have a positive attitude and be able to work cooperatively with others and function well in a team-oriented work environment.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively with staff, Board, donors, vendors, and the public.
- Valid California driver’s license and insurance.
- Must understand and be committed to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund.
- Must have excellent references relevant to similar positions held.
Salary and Benefits:
Competitive salary, plus excellent benefits package, including 100% employer paid health insurance for employees and 24 days of PTO annually. Casual office environment includes companion animals.
How to Apply:
Please email resume and a cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com with “Executive Administrator” in the Subject line.Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Animal Legal Defense Fund and American Wild Horse Campaign continue work to ensure wild horses’ safetyMarch 27, 2020 Press Release
Three baboons and two macaques removed from Cricket Hollow Zoo are transferred to primate sanctuary, following Animal Legal Defense Fund lawsuitMarch 24, 2020 Press Release
We've declared it “Stay At Home With Your Dog Day!” (#StayAtHomeWithYourDogDay) and invite you to join us for a friendly photo competition and share photos of your “Office Mutt-Mates” and "Cat Coworkers" working hard (and sometimes hardly working!).March 18, 2020 News