Get Involved in National Justice for Animals Week!
National Justice for Animals Week is a yearly event dedicated to raising public awareness nationwide about criminal animal abuse, including how to report it, and how to work within your community to create stronger laws and ensure tough enforcement. Join the Animal Legal Defense Fund for a week of action for animals on February 25 to March 3, 2018.
Willow & Stormy are this year’s mascots for the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s National Justice for Animals Week. They were victims of severe neglect, both pregnant and severely malnourished when law enforcement found them. They were lucky to survive, but, thanks to the great work of the prosecutor and local rescuers, today Willow & Stormy are thriving, as are their foals. And their abuser is behind bars. The prosecutor knew how important it was to win justice for Willow, Stormy, and the other horses — so she contacted the Animal Legal Defense Fund, and we provided support to ensure that key witnesses were available to testify in this important case. Every year countless animal victims endure criminal cruelty. Willow & Stormy remind us that with persistence, we can make sure more animal abusers are brought to justice.
Willow & Stormy are this year’s mascots for National Justice for Animals Week. They were victims of severe neglect, but, thanks to the great work of the prosecutor and local rescuers, today Willow & Stormy are thriving, as are their foals.
How can Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (SALDF) chapters get involved? SALDF chapters are encouraged to host events to raise awareness about criminal justice issues in animal law.
Suggested Events & Projects
- Table during lunch or class breaks (we can provide free materials!)
- Hold a film screening.
- Email or call your representative about pending local, state, or federal legislation. Check city and state government websites for current legislation, or contact us to see if there is pending legislation in your area.
- Organize an Animal Legal Defense Fund Benefit Day by contacting a local vegan/vegetarian restaurant or animal-friendly business to see if they would donate a percentage of their total daily sales to Animal Legal Defense Fund to help us win the case against cruelty.
- Host a guest speaker.
- Find more project ideas here.
Suggested Speaker Topics
- Ag-Gag legislation, which criminalizes whistleblowing of egregious animal cruelty on factory farms.
- Criminal anti-cruelty laws: an overview of the laws in your state or exciting legislative developments, or how certain animals like farmed animals are exempt from them.
- The connection between domestic violence and animal cruelty.
- The prosecution of animal cruelty cases.
Your SALDF chapter can apply for a project grant to support your event. You can also receive a grant for a SALDF banner to use during National Justice for Animals Week and and other chapter events. If your chapter is interested in getting involved and receiving promotional materials, please contact Student Programs Coordinator Kelly Levenda.