Call for Papers: 2017 Animal Legal Defense Fund Student Convention
Friday, October 13, 2017
8:30AM – 4:00PM
The Hilton Portland
Portland, OR 97204
Deadline: May 15, 2017
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is pleased to announce the 2017 Student Convention, which will be held on the Friday leading up to the 25th Anniversary of the Animal Law Conference in downtown Portland, Oregon. The convention will provide an opportunity for students to meet and receive career advice from leaders in the animal law field, and to network with Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (SALDF) chapter members from law schools across the country and beyond.
The event is free for SALDF members and will include a career panel featuring animal law experts from a variety of occupational backgrounds; lunch and keynote presentation from Animal Legal Defense Fund founder and “Mother of Animal Law” Joyce Tischler; and an interactive roundtable session providing an opportunity to discuss issues and share ideas with other SALDF members.
The day will also include a panel highlighting law student scholarship on factory farming. We are currently accepting submissions for this panel.
CALL FOR PAPERS
Those interested in presenting on the law student panel should submit a completed paper on the topic of factory farming and the law. Potential sub-topics include (but are not limited to) Ag-Gag laws, environmental impacts/climate change, prosecuting farmed animal abuse, legislative reforms, lethal predator control, etc. Authors of selected papers will have the opportunity to present their work at the convention and will receive a travel scholarship to attend both the Student Convention and the Animal Law Conference that immediately follows.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES (please read carefully):
- Author must have been enrolled in law school when the paper was written.
- Papers must have been written within the last two years.
- Only complete papers will be considered. There is no length requirement.
- Remove identification (name and law school) from your paper but include this information separately.
- Presenters must attend the convention in person and will have approximately 20 minutes to discuss their paper.
- Papers may be published or unpublished, but if published permission must be obtained to share the paper on the conference website and in CLE materials.
- By submitting a paper you are affirming that it has been fact-checked and sources appropriately cited.
- Must be fluent in English and comfortable presenting and answering questions without a translator.
- The deadline to submit a paper is May 15, 2017.
Papers should be submitted in PDF or Word format with paper title only at the top. Other identifying information removed (do not include your name or law school). In a separate document or the body of the email include your name, paper title, law school, and graduation date. Send submissions to Nicole Pallotta at email@example.com with the subject line “Law Student Panel CFP.” You will be notified of the status of your submission by the end of June.
The Animal Law Conference will commence after the Student Convention concludes, taking place over the weekend of Oct. 13-15, 2017. Registration for the conference opens June 1, 2017. Travel grants will be available to members of active SALDF chapters. More details will be posted on the conference website as they become available.
NOTE: You must register separately for the Student Convention and can RSVP at this page.