Looking for a career in animal law? ALDF offers a list of current employment opportunities at various law firms and non-profit organizations across the country. Interested in promoting your opportunity? Use our opportunity submission form, we will review your submission and consider it for publication on aldf.org.
Senior Staff Attorney
Animal Legal Defense Fund
Senior Staff Attorneys in ALDF’s Litigation Program are responsible for the day-to-day management of their assigned cases and projects, including ensuring the completion of all necessary research, filings, and other aspects of litigation. Senior Staff Attorneys are also responsible for assisting the Director of Litigation in developing new cases, either by monitoring news for ideal sets of facts, or developing cases from assigned areas of law. Senior Staff Attorneys have more experience and more supervisory responsibilities than Staff Attorneys.
- Act as lead counsel, and be responsible for all research, filings, and other aspects of litigation, for all assigned cases and projects
- Research and develop novel legal theories and strategies, as well as fact patterns, for new cases
- Oversee Law Clerks, Litigation Fellows, and junior Staff Attorneys as assigned
- Oversee drafting, editing, and submission of amicus curiae briefs on behalf of ALDF
- Assist with the review and development of legislation
- Coordinate and collaborate with Criminal Justice Program staff on cases that have, or could have, both civil and criminal components
- Work with Communications and other departments to answer questions on civil legal issues and procedures, and to propose, draft, proof read and/or edit content on cases and legal developments for ALDF website, blogs, e-Update, e-alerts, newsletters, donor mailings, etc.
- Coordinate, as needed, with Animal Law Program staff
- Prepare and deliver presentations for professional conferences, fundraising events, etc. when needed
- Provide in-house expertise for staff on questions concerning Litigation Program cases, animal law civil cases in general and civil procedures and legal strategy
- Understand and be committed to the mission of the Animal Legal Defense Fund
- Senior Staff Attorneys should have at least six years of experience litigating cases, ideally as part of an organization doing strategic impact litigation, and have a track record of developing their own cases and winning them.
- Must have a Juris Doctor degree, excelled in law school, and be admitted to practice law in at least one state
- Must have excellent organizational and prioritization skills and be able to meet deadlines
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be “computer literate,” comfortable with Information Technology, and have significant experience with software applications, including, Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other applications.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to communicate effectively with members, supporters, co-workers, etc.
- Must have a positive attitude and be able to work cooperatively with others and function well in a team-oriented work environment
Along with resume and cover letter, please submit two writing sample and law school transcripts.
Competitive salary DOE, excellent benefits package including 100% employer paid comprehensive health, dental, vision and life insurance plans. Optional Flexible Spending Account. Generous Paid Time Off, and 401k retirement plan with employer match. Casual work environment which includes companion animals.
Location: Cotati, California