Looking for a career in animal law? ALDF offers a list of current employment opportunities at various law firms and non-profit organizations across the country. Interested in promoting your opportunity? Use our opportunity submission form, we will review your submission and consider it for publication on aldf.org.
To provide attorneys at the PETA Foundation with advice and assistance on a wide range of legal issues that arise in the course of PETA’s work to protect animals through public education, cruelty investigations, research, animal rescue, legislation, and protest campaigns
Primary Responsibilities and Duties:
• Research, interpret, and apply federal statutes and regulations, including the Administrative Procedure Act, the Freedom of Information Act, the Animal Welfare Act, the Humane Methods of Livestock Slaughter Act, the Endangered Species Act, the Marine Mammal Protection Act, and the National Environmental Policy Act
• Research, interpret, and apply state statutes and regulations, including anti-cruelty and open-records statutes
• Conduct legal research on a variety of animal protection and animal rights issues, such as standing, judicial review, and First Amendment issues
• Prepare comments for agencies on proposed rulemaking and permit applications
• Assist in the management of litigation in federal and state courts
• Communicate with public interest and private attorneys, prosecutors, government agencies, and nonprofit organizations on a variety of legal issues
• Assist PETA caseworkers, researchers, and campaigners with a wide array of legal issues
• Work with others to formulate and develop litigation to further PETA’s objectives
• Perform any other duties assigned by the supervisor
• J.D. with up to three years of legal experience
• Experience in animal law, administrative law, environmental law, and/or criminal law is desired, but resourcefulness and innovativeness are primarily valued
• Superior legal research and writing skills
• Support for PETA’s philosophy and the ability to professionally advocate PETA’s positions on issues
• Commitment to the objectives of the organization
Please apply online and include a letter of interest, résumé, transcript, and legal writing sample.
Location: Washington, D.C.