Clerkships, Internships & Fellowships
Law students looking for clerkships, internships or fellowships can find a curated list of opportunities here.
Interested in promoting your opportunity? Fill out our opportunity submission form, we will review your submission and consider it for publication on aldf.org.
SALDF Chapter Regional Representative Internship (New York City)
Animal Legal Defense Fund
The Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) is a national nonprofit organization dedicated to protecting the lives and advancing the interests of animals through the legal system. Since 1981, the Animal Legal Defense Fund has won precedent-setting victories that have expanded legal protections for companion animals, wildlife, animals in research labs, and those in factory farming situations.
ALDF’s Animal Law Program works to advance the emerging field of animal law by facilitating the development of animal law courses and the growth of Student Animal Legal Defense Fund (SALDF) chapters. In 2000, when the Animal Law Program was launched, there were only 12 SALDF chapters. Currently, there are more than 195 U.S. and international chapters, including chapters at top schools such as Yale, Harvard, Stanford, NYU, and the University of Chicago.
About the SALDF Chapter Regional Representative Internship:
The NYC SALDF Chapter Regional Representative will provide “on the ground” support to SALDF chapters in the New York City area. Key responsibilities include:
- organizing meet-and-great opportunities for regional chapters (to promote ALDF’s key resources and opportunities);
- collaborating with other chapters, student law groups, and undergraduate/graduate groups on joint conferences, symposia, speaker events, and other animal law events (e.g. “Animal Law Week”);
- coordinating local chapters to work on ALDF’s projects, initiatives, and fundraising campaigns.
The successful applicant must have a sincere interest in animal protection and be a second or third-year law student who has been involved with their law school’s SALDF chapter for at least a year. The ideal candidate will be outgoing, assertive, creative, self-motivated, and passionate about outreach and advocacy.
Internships are for a period of 14 weeks, for up to 7.5 hours per week, with hours being flexible in terms of how they are divided over the 14 weeks. The pay is $15 an hour. The internship will take place during spring semester 2014 and the start date is flexible.
Law students interested in applying should forward a cover letter, resume, transcript (unofficial is okay), and responses to the below questions to Nicole Pallotta at email@example.com.
Application Questions (Please number your responses and provide in a separate document.):
- Describe your involvement with your SALDF chapter.
- Do you have leadership experience? If so, describe.
- Do you have event planning experience? If so, describe.
- Do you have experience in outreach and advocacy? If so, describe.
- Do you have fundraising experience? If so, describe.
Please consolidate application materials into one PDF, if possible. Application deadline is January 24, 2014. Only complete applications will be considered. In the alternative, materials can be sent to:
Animal Legal Defense Fund
SALDF Representative Position
919 SW Taylor St.
Portland, OR 97214
Attention: Nicole Pallotta
Location: New York, New York