National SALDF Fundraising Contest Now Open!Posted on September 15, 2009
The Animal Legal Defense Fund is launching a new annual fundraising contest for our SALDF chapters. The contest challenges our chapters to hold a fundraiser (or fundraisers) of their choice during the fall semester and donate the proceeds to ALDF’s legal programs to help animals. Funds raised during this contest will be used by ALDF’s Criminal Justice Program to assist local animal shelters and prosecutors handling animal cruelty cases to assure that animal abuse crimes are effectively investigated and prosecuted.
The top fundraising chapter will be featured in ALDF’s quarterly newsletter, The Animals’ Advocate, and will also receive a special prize: a visit from Joyce Tischler, a.k.a. "the mother of animal law" and founder of ALDF. This visit will comprise a speaking engagement and a luncheon or evening reception with Joyce. Runners-up will receive $100 worth of ALDF merchandise of your choice from our ALDF and Cafe Press online stores.
If you are interested in participating in this national fundraising competition, please email email@example.com by September 23, 2009 and we will add your chapter to the contest rankings. We will ask you to contact ALDF on the first of each month to let us know how much money you have raised so far. Competing chapters have until December 31, 2009 to raise the funds. This means you can arrange one big fundraiser during the semester, or a series of fundraisers, depending on your chapter’s strategy, resources, and schedules. The winner will be notified by January 15, 2009 and the visit from Joyce Tischler will be arranged for spring semester 2010 in accordance with Joyce’s schedule and that of the winning chapter.
You are welcome to organize any number of fundraising activities, either separately or in conjunction with other SALDF events, during the fall semester. Feel free to be creative, but here are a few suggestions:
- Many chapters have found companion animal photo contests to be successful fundraisers (and relatively inexpensive to set up). Read about one chapter’s pet photo contest here.
- If you are looking for a fundraiser in December, why not invite people to have their companion animal’s photo taken with Santa Claus? Read about a chapter who organized a similar fundraiser here.
- Vegan bake sales are very popular and delicious ways to raise money (ALDF’s "farmed animals and the law brochure" can also provide an educational component). You can also offer homemade dog treats!
- Clean out your basement (or closet) and have a rummage sale.
- Organize your members for a weekend dog or car wash.
- Hold a raffle or silent auction.
We encourage you to approach law firms in your area and/or local companies and ask them to match the amount of money you raise. This is a great (and relatively easy) way to maximize your fundraising efforts!
Finally, each chapter participating in this contest is eligible to apply for an SALDF project grant to offset costs associated with organizing the contest, such as set-up, advertising, supplies, etc. We will also have a special leaflet available for participating chapters to distribute during your fundraising event(s).
Don’t forget to let us know by September 23 if your chapter will participate in this competition! In that email you can also let us know how many leaflets you’d like to order and the best address to send them. Thank you in advance for helping ALDF take direct action to save animals from exploitation and abuse.