Offender Registration and Community NotificationPosted on February 18, 2010
ALDF’s Abuser Registry Model Law
"Offender Registration and Community Notification" PDF Download
- For purposes of this section, an “animal abuser” means a person over eighteen years of age who has been convicted of a felony violation of [any animal protection statute] of this state or of the comparable statutes of another state.
- Any animal abuser physically within the boundaries of this state for more than ten consecutive days shall register with the county sheriff for the county in which the animal abuser is located before the end of the eleventh day in the state.
- Any previously‐registered animal abuser shall reregister with the county sheriff for the county in which the animal abuser is located no later than ten days after moving to a new location within the state.
- When an animal abuser registers with the county sheriff, the animal abuser shall provide the following registration information:
- The legal name and any other names or aliases that the animal abuser is using or has used;
- The date of birth of the animal abuser;
- The social security number of the animal abuser;
- The current address or location of the animal abuser;
- The place of employment of the animal abuser;
- The animal protection offense for which the animal abuser was convicted; and the date and place of the animal protection offense conviction of the animal abuser.
- A photograph of the animal abuser and a complete set of the animal abuser’s fingerprints; and
- A description of any tattoos, scars or other distinguishing features on the animal abuser’s body that would assist in identifying the animal abuser.
- The county sheriff shall forward all registration information obtained from animal abusers to the [State Department of Justice].
- Within ten days of receiving initial registration information from an animal abuser, the county sheriff shall contact every residence, school, humane society, animal shelter and any other business within a half mile radius of the animal abuser’s residence or location and provide them with the animal abuser’s registration information, with the exception of the animal abuser’s social security number.
For assistance or additional information, contact ALDF Legislative Affairs at firstname.lastname@example.org.