National Justice for Animals Week 2018
The Animal Legal Defense Fund’s National Justice for Animals Week is an annual event dedicated to raising public awareness about animal abuse, how to report it, and how to work within your community to create stronger laws and ensure tough enforcement. Join us for a week of action for animals Feb. 25-March 3, 2018!
Willow & Stormy are this year’s mascots for the Animal Legal Defense Fund’s National Justice for Animals Week. They were victims of severe neglect, both pregnant and severely malnourished when law enforcement found them. They were lucky to survive, but, thanks to the great work of the prosecutor and local rescuers, today Willow & Stormy are thriving, as are their foals. And their abuser is behind bars. The prosecutor knew how important it was to win justice for Willow, Stormy, and the other horses — so she contacted the Animal Legal Defense Fund, and we provided support to ensure that key witnesses were available to testify in this important case. Every year countless animal victims endure criminal cruelty. Willow & Stormy remind us that with persistence, we can make sure more animal abusers are brought to justice.
The abuser has received 2 years in jail from the jury and a probation revocation. She has been prohibited from owning, possessing and caring for horses for ten years. She is a repeat offender for abusing horses so it was incredibly important to bring her to justice. Learn more about this case on our testimonials page.
Willow & Stormy are this year’s mascots for National Justice for Animals Week. They were victims of severe neglect, but, thanks to the great work of the prosecutor and local rescuers, today Willow & Stormy are thriving, as are their foals.
Here are seven actions you can take—one for each day of the week.
- Join the SALDF chapter at your school.
- Be prepared. Know what to do when you witness animal cruelty.
- Familiarize yourself with your state or provincial animal protection laws.
- Sign up for Action Alerts so you can take action on national and local animal issues.
- Sign the Animal Bill of Rights.
- Don’t just read the news—make it! Write a letter to the editor about an issue involving animals in your area.
- Connect with the Animal Legal Defense Fund on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Share this page with #NJFAW, #Justice4animals, and #aldf!